Friday, June 22, 2012

Jerusha, Staff Story

Jerusha Dyson started volunteering at Thorncroft just on Saturdays in 2005. Today, just seven years later, she’s the acting barn manager. “When I was 15, I was working at another barn, but I wanted to do more. I wanted to do therapeutic riding volunteering and as soon as I heard about Thorncroft, I quit and began coming here,” Dyson says as she reflects on her history at Thorncroft.

In October 2011, Jerusha’s experience and leadership earned her the position of barn manager, “as a barn manager, I really love when you can tell that the horses know who I am because they treat me differently, they’re better for me, better behaved.”


Jerusha with Grant

As affirming as the behavior of the horses is for Jersusha, her favorite part, she explains, is the opportunity for teaching lessons. “Last night, I taught my student to jump for the first time, she’s just this little eight-year-old, very small, and she was over the moon. The accomplishments of other riders, especially my students make me very happy.”

Jerusha attributes the significant improvement of her rider to the brand new Jimmy Moran Indoor Arena. The student had been taking classes for just about a year, making slow but steady progress; however, as soon as the Jimmy Moran Arena was opened, she moved the lesson to the more private location. Just in the first lesson in the new arena, Jerusha noticed a significant difference, “I wouldn’t have been able to comfortably teach her how to jump if it were for the smaller space.”

The arena was specifically built for a more personal and quiet setting that bolsters the calm atmosphere of the barn. “Normally, I take her to the indoor arena but that day, the indoor ring was so full, I took her to the Jimmy Moran Indoor and it was just the two of us. There was not one distraction for her. This was also one of the first times she cantered off the lounge line because usually she’s more tentative. The space offers more sense of security.”

Already, the Jimmy Moran Indoor Arena is transforming riders and students. The betterment of a person’s well-being is a value Thorncroft and its members hold dearly, including Jerusha.




No comments:

Post a Comment